tattoos

Sunday, November 27, 2011

weekend-ness.

wouldn't it be great if this weekend lasted forever? and we kept getting paid for our forever holiday by the employer we never saw because we were forever holiday-ing? 

sounds nice to me.

the long weekend was heaven. 
a perfect mix of family and friends and fun and food and netflix catch up and crossing things off my to-do list and being productive. 

i'm certain i would make an excellent stay-at-home woman.

i thanksgiving'd with the bennions at my uncle dave's house up emigration canyon.
i am so glad for the snow-less years when the mighty trek up the canyon is dry.
it's always a welcome sight when i know i've arrived without white nuckles or panic in my soul.
hallelujah thanksgiving 2011!


small group this year.  just 16 of us around the dinner table... with a few more cousins just in time for dessert.
i ate one plate. no seconds.
and shared a sampler of desserts with my sweet cousin weston.
that boy - that 15 year old punk high school hoodlum - melts my heart, speaks kindly, still hugs tights hugs, and holds my hand like he's 5 years old. i would gladly trade each of you for that boy. he's my favorite.

by the time i got home, i didn't have a lick of leftovers to my name. i wished for another spoonful of sweet potatoes and some of my grandma's lemon-y green beans.

it's not thanksgiving without leftovers.


while the mobsters attacked walmart and kohl's and all those places i choose not to shop, i cleaned.
and re-invented a little all over the house.

i've been looking for a neutral duvet for months.
instead, i got smart and turned my covers over - to the plain jane cream side. 
a birthday rug from andi sits at the foot of my bed, some new art replaced some out-dated photos on the collage wall, there was a great pillow swap all over the house, and the slc temple made its way to the front and center of my living room.
and finally - finally, finally, finally - the guest bedroom is complete. 

maybe a house tour soon?

i made my bed for three days straight. this is major. funny how small, new tweaks make everything more exciting... and clean.
also funny how a well made bed makes me want nothing more than to throw all the pillows to the side, climb inside, and rough it up a bit to find my cozy place.
is there a more welcoming sight than a clean bed at bedtime? no way.


the birthday latte bowls from anthropologie made their way into the cupboard. 
makes me want to run downstairs and sneak a midnight bowl of life cereal.
aren't they just asking for it?


saturday was another day of complete productivity.
christmas happened in the house.
and i kept getting crafty.
it's really going to be a homemade christmas, people. get excited.

... but then it got dark and i cashed it all in for the warmest wool socks and leggings and long sleeves and put a dent in season two of parenthood while dipping mint joe-joe's in hot chocolate.

i'm sure that if my future husband showed up and my door he'd have turned and walked away at the sight of my ugly-cozy tv watching attire i was sporting. there are some things, though, that are worth sacrificing beauty for. i think a warm saturday night home alone with parenthood's braverman family qualifies as one of them.


... and i did it all by the light of the christmas branch.
threaten, lecture, or harass... but the lights are on and won't be turned off until christmas is behind us.
they'll stay on all day and all night long.
so, there.



and today, i baked cookies.
except, i didn't make them with dark chocolate chips. i used an overpriced bag of chocolate pieces i couldn't say no to at see's candies.
it was a really big bag, but that's not excuse. i assure you, it was worth every bit of that $5.50 i paid for that bag of chocolate.

if you don't believe me, ask my co-workers in the morning.
they'll be gone by 8:15.



and to remind you that i have at least an ounce of substance to my life beyond all this silliness - 
i've had a thought from church rolling around in my head all day. 

we were taught from a talk by robert d. hales in october's general conference about the lord's timing. certainly things run on the master's time... not mine. not yours. and thank goodness for that. what a silly world it would be if the lord gave me the things i thought i needed when i was 18... or 19... or even 28.  he's the master, his time rules. 

but. even still. someone else in the class rattled off a {very general} list of her trials. some of hers sounded like some of mine. and then, clear as day, i heard a voice in my head say "you're not the only one who has to deal with hard things" -- like, equal parts "buck up" and "you can do this" kick in the pants. 

my life is not hard. not in the least. it has sharp edges sometimes, but it's also got a lot of cushion and padding and people and friends that keep me far from the painful parts. but most of all, i have a relationship with my savior. what better help can i ask for?



back to reality. 
ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger