tattoos

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

me + sports = fail.

last night after work, i headed over to my default slave most willing co-worker's house so he could fix the mysterious car rattle before i head out on another holiday road trip. 


while we worked on the car - including laying on the concrete in my skinnies.... oy -  the more fun half of the family knocked some tennis balls back and forth across the driveway. 
{remember when you played in the street as a kid?  like, with a ball?  it was like that.}

and when we finished, we joined in the games.
joined as in - i willingly fetched the wily, out of bounds balls while everyone else swung the racket.

see, my athletic ability is a joke... laughable to everyone.
but i'm always a willing supporter.
i'll drive the golf cart
and fetch your tennis balls.
i'll even sit in the lodge and watch your gear while you ski.

but i certainly don't play!
no, that would be silly.
it's an act of self preservation, mostly. why humiliate myself when i can avoid it?

inevitably, though - i'll get a "here, you hit one" or "want to swing the club?"
which is code for "i'm frustrated with my score this round... i could use a little comic relief."
and i'll do it... becuase i never say no to a challenge.

now, my mom swears she was the badminton champ in high school.
but hand/eye/ball/racket coordination must skip a generation...
because i wasn't so good.
i mean... i hit it.  i just made my tennis partner run for the ball a lot more than she made me.

but we had fun and played outside like 14 year old girls and laughed. and LAUGHED.
and it wasn't even always at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger