tattoos

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Experiment: Goth Makeup

This should be interesting. I am in no way a makeup connoisseur. I'm not necessarily bad at it though, but really keep things fairly basic for the most part. I've always loved seeing these cute goth girls with such distinct style and creative makeup. I would love to learn how to properly cover my eyebrows (cause I won't wax them off!) and do the old hollywood glamour look, a la Marlene Dietrich (whom by the way I was named after..!!)

I've even looked up online video tutorials (usually from Drag Queens), but lack of motivation kept it going further than that. Not only are these eyebrows popular amongst the drag queens but same with goth and alternative girls alike. I love this look, always have. Even as a teenager I had a plucking frenzy -- tweezed my eyebrows nearly to extinction. And back then it was the 90s and Drew Barrymore was the inspiration.

Unfortunately mine didn't look quite the same, mainly due to me shaping them like half moons and ending up with more the 'clown' effect.

So I'm glad to say that I'll be staying away from the eyebrows -- at least for today. Instead I'm going to focus on the eyes, using Adora BatBrat as my inspiration. Adora BatBrat is an online sensation, or quoted as "the gothic queen of youtube." I read her blog all the time and just think she's the cutest thing. It's safe to say that I 100% have a girl crush on her.




I super love this one where she's dressed all creepy twin-like with her sister:


I LOVE that hair. I must learn how to do this..!! I know they're hair pieces... right?? I've seen this look before in magazine editorials and down the runway and have always wanted to wear my hair the same. The most I've done is teased the crap out of my own, and let's just say deep conditioner is definitely required the next day.

Anywaaaaays....
So I decided to use a photo of the lovely Adora and transform myself to this gothic beauty. I don't have all the proper makeup products for 'goth' makeup but tried my best...

This 'experiment' has taught me that I really need to perfect my makeup technique. I mean, I can barely do that whole cat-eye look with the shadow, and that seems so elementary. But for the life of me, I just can't seem to do it. And really, I need more practice with the whole fake eyelashes thing too. What a mess! But after playing around for a bit I think the final look came together quite nicely, and was very fun to do.  :)


Look! I love Adora so much that I even purchased the same pair of shoes.  ;)


I would love to dress and look like this all the time... However. The time required to put together such a look is too crazy. I'd have to wake up two hours earlier in order to accomplish anything even close to this, and right now I can barely do my 45 minutes. Yep. 45 minutes. That gives me enough time to sleep in, brush my teeth, comb my hair (usually into a bun or ponytail) and maaaaaybe put on some makeup, if it's a good day. For the most part it's the 'sleeping in' that takes priority. *sigh*, maybe one day... (as I sit here with no makeup and sweats on -- *sobs*)    ;)


I'll leave you with the first video I found on Adora BatBrat, a goth makeup tutorial, haha. How fitting!



xoxoxoxo...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger