tattoos

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

todays.Omani.experience.

When I decided to moved to Oman I was given lots of advice from friends and family; people expressed their concerns about a white woman living in an Arabic country, not only a while woman, but a blond white woman, about how woman need to cover up and be aware that the Arab men will stare at you, don't feel threatened etc etc etc. So far my personal experience hasn't been so bad, I always make a conscious effort to cover my legs and shoulders and never show too much skin when I am in public. The stares from the men aren't that bad at all (that doesn't mean they don't stare) but most of the time its a bashfull look or subtle stare which doesn't really bother me, I barely notice it!
Today is the day I got the BIGGEST stare so far (if you could call a stare big?!), it is definitely number 1 on my top 10 list of stares from Arab men. I was driving in my car, turning the corner onto the road where my office is, and due to a little congestion, driving in the opposite direction was a male Omani in a dark grey Dodge Charger. He is the culprit; his head did a lightning fast turn in my direction and then his head sort of titled backwards in a "OMG" kind of way.
I drove off chuckling to myself, and that was the end of that Omani experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger