tattoos

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

ole.

there are a few things to remember before i begin.

1. when i get married, i don't want a party.

every wednesday, i begin my day with a meeting at a construction site about a half hour away from my house. when i'm done, i drive to my office. it's perfect talk-to-the-parents time. today was my dad's turn.

somehow, the conversation turned to wedding talk. MY wedding talk. all hypothetical, naturally, since i haven't met anyone cool enough to marry me yet. i tell my dad how lucky he is that he had four boys and ONE girl... and that that girl doesn't want the fuss of a wedding. i'll take a marriage ceremony, but skip the rest. you'd think this would be every dad's dream. no tux, no effort wasted on matching napkins to the bridesmaid's shoes, and best of all - no bills to pay at the end of it all.

but to my surprise, my dad says, "aubry, are you kidding me? i've been thinking about this for years. i've got it all planned."

wwwhat?

and then he tells me about his grand plans for a party with a three-part taco stand. al pastor, carne asada, and fish tacos. my dad will man the al pastor, older brother matt will handle the carne asada, trev will be in charge of fish. jeff is on dessert duty, and brett's got the drinks.

he tells me it will be completely casual - he'll be in his jeans - and our guests can wear whatever they want. we'll do it somewhere other than our house, since that's where we have all the missionary coming and going parties... and, well... this has to be a step above.

i reminded him again, "dad, i don't want a party." to which he replies...

"then don't come. but i'm making tacos."

so, you know... if eternal marriage is worth it to you, you'll get some really good tacos... and, my dad will probably still pay you. but i'm not taking you to mexico until you're my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger