tattoos

Monday, April 12, 2010

conveniently mexican.

if you ask my mom what she is, she'll say she's white. tricky, though - since her maiden name is juarez.

the reality of it is, she's half mexican {don't tell her i told you.} lucky for her, i s'pose, she's the whitest one in the family... and that's the only reason she can get away with shunning her heritage. she fakes her gringo-hood.

my dad, on the other hand, really is white. the books say he's scottish, but he speaks more spanish in a day than he does english ... and even claims to think and dream in spanish. in the same way my mom fakes being white, my dad fakes being mexican... wearing those guayabera shirts any chance he gets n' all.

i grew up in san diego... not even the really glamorous part... i grew up in the really rural part that was close to the tecate border. so, by virtue of proximity AND genetics - i've got some latin love in my bones.

my mom, though - no love. not even if it was going to get us scholarships... NO. LOVE.

so, when robin and andi both referred to me as "a sassy mexican" in their blogs, my mom was astounded. "what makes you think you're a mexican?" she asked.

this is what makes me mexican:

this is rafael. he's my grandpa.

this, on the other hand, is george. he made me white.


i'm an equal opportunity heritage lover, but the u.k. has nothing on street tacos. and for that, i will gladly be mexican whenever it is convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger