tattoos

Saturday, June 19, 2010

happy father's day, scott.

{my all time favorite father-daughter pic. in mexico. the land that we love. naturally.}

my whole life, i've been told i'm a replica of my dad.
"such a bennion" they say.

minus a few quirks,
it wasn't until i moved away from home
that i learned how honorable it is to be a bennion
and so apparently carry out those traits.

when i was in elementary school, i knew my dad was awesome because he'd come to my class every year and demonstrate his pottery skills. who knew how to throw pottery? no one. except for my dad. and everyone was wow'd.

when i was a little older, but still a "kid" my dad was awesome because he'd take us kids up on all our very un-dad like dares... like walking into 7-eleven with teenage mutant ninja turtle underwear on his head and a hand knife strapped to thigh to fetch us kids slurpees. who would do that? no one. except for my dad. and everyone was wow'd.

and still, when we were little... he'd come home from work with his pockets full of cash. like... FULL OF CASH. as a self employed, small business owner, it wasn't so out of the ordinary for him to receive a check for $50k. and just for fun, he'd cash it. and bring it home in his pockets. and then he'd tell us that if we could guess how much money he had in his pockets we could have it. we never guessed right. who wandered around with ridiculous amounts of cash in his pockets? no one. except for my dad. and we were all wow'd.

and then fast forward to college... when my dad would ask me to gather my roommates around the living room. i'd put him on speaker phone and he'd spew wisdom to us girls. wisdom like "if you're not in bed by midnight, you might as well just go home" or "$50 prize money to the next dude who makes out with a shanty girl"... and when that wasn't good enough, scotty b took it upon himself to drive 1,000 miles from san diego to rexburg to assess the girl/boy situation. there was always a carne asada cook out involved... and then the match making began. he'd grab a girl, grab a dude, introduce them to each other and say, "now start walking that way. don't come back for 20 minutes" and we obeyed. nothing marital ever came from those meetings, but we definitely sharpened our skills. who would waste 2,000 miles in gas just to make sure his daughter and her friends had dates for friday night? no one. except for my dad. and everyone was wow'd.

the list goes on and on.
lest i forget my dad taught me to love felons
he taught me how to use a camera
he taught me how to throw a party
and no matter what... as his only daughter... and his best international traveling companion... i know my dad will protect me

happy father's day, scott!
where are we going next?




No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger