tattoos

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Top Fav Home Decor Influences


If I were to describe my home decor I'd have to say that it's a mish mash on all of my favourite styles -- Moroccan, Tiki, and Retro -- with a mix of other oddities such as the random granny cat figurine or skulls of some sort.









Here is a re-cap on all the home decor styles I love and that influence my own personal decorating. We'll start with a recurring favourite:


MOROCCAN



I've been attracted to moroccan home decor since foreeeeever. I love the lanterns, abundance use of pillows, the warm rich tones of reds and gold, layers of overlapping rugs and the carved wood furniture.
















This photo makes me think of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.  :)


Now the next two styles that I love fall from the same era -- 1950s to the 1960s-ish time period. The first being....


RETRO


I think it would be sooooo cool if your entire house was done up this way. I picture fancy cocktails and listening to the Ultra Lounge collection -- make sure to turn on your speakers for a sample of this fantastic and perfect mood-enhancing music.















Me and Jarred have been talking about doing kitchen renos in the future future (bathrooms HAVE to get done first!), and I wouldn't mind thinking out of the box and doing something completely different than the norm. I think it would be fun to do something like the above photo -- or even to have the kitchen done in a baby retro pink.  :)


I love the look of this home. It kind of reminds me of my place, where you can see the different mix of styles put together. And do you want to see a really cool place..?? Check out this home:





And that's not even the best part. You have to see their basement -- which brings me to my next all-time favourite style:


TIKI


The Carter Family tiki themed basement. Seriously. I have hearts in my eyes right now...









I loooooove tiki homes..!!!




Look -- even Barbie likes the tiki designed home:




Yes. That's a doll model of a retro tiki bar and home. WOW.
Work done by artist Carole Knaus. You can read (and see more of her work), HERE.

When we did our renovations to our condo a couple of years ago I wanted to make our computer / toy collection room in a tiki theme -- although since then it's taken a turn as the Bat-Cave, courtesy of Jarred's lovely Batman collection, that never seems to stop growing.


While we're still on the subject of the fabulous Atomic-Age here, I must mention another love: Googie Architecture (also known as populuxe), most popular from the 1950s to mid-1960s era.


I've always LOVED this style on a building, and if I were ever to build my own business I'd 100% do this idea...








Whenever I'm in presence of a building or sign in this style I always take a photo for my own collection...

I took this photo in Las Vegas a few years back...


and this cool one right here in my city.

And yes, next time you're gazing upon the infamous Vegas sign, you'll know that you're looking at a classic example of the googie architecture.  :)


Back to home decor, another style I've been recently enjoying is the...

Wall of Cluttered Pictures













Look -- even your washrooms are unsafe...




Seriously though, I really do like this idea -- even in the washroom, which I think looks super cool, and an idea I'd like to try in my own home. Actually, I kind of have this idea growing on my one livingroom wall. It takes time as you collect these perfect / odd pieces that sort-of go together in a strange mismatched way. For example, I just purchased this vintage beauty from the thrift store which I'm thinking of adding to said wall:

Yes, that's a 3-D effect of basically a porcelain figure sticking out on the photo. It's so ugly that it's cool. I'm still deciding if this should go up on the 'Wall of Clutter' (Jarred already voted "No!", hahaa...)
If I decide to hang it up I'll take a photo and get your guys* opinion on it.

*my one devoted reader, Kate.


To Be Continued....




xoxoxo...



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger